Thursday 1 November 2007

Everlasting Regrets

Unfortunately (that word seems so inadequate) its seems that there has been a death at INSEAD. I hope I'm wrong but both Necromonger and Strawberry Tints have intimated this in their recent posts.

Even though its no-one I know, I found myself strangely effected by the posts. Why? Well, I guess it was partly picking up on the emotion conveyed in the blog entries. But partly it was a feeling of regret that a dream has finished and that a person's potential was never fully explored. And perhaps, selfishly, its a case of "there, but for the grace of God, go I".

I assume that most of those reading this are applying to, have applied to or are attending INSEAD. There are plenty of blog entries on the work/dedication required to get in and our motivations for applying/joining. With so many aspirations, you could argue that its optimism gone mad and unrealistic expectations; but I would argue this is what makes applying and getting in so good - to look forward with a smile at an infinite set of possibilities; to know that you can do anything; to meet people and explore your own boundaries and hopefully break through the self imposed inhibitions/fears that you never realised were there.

I'm lucky, I'm in P0, I am getting a chance to "live the dream"(hopefully). And that is where the sadness seeps in. One person also had this dream and grasped the opportunity, and yet, before they could fulfill their dreams, they were gone.

When someone "departs" who has had a long and fulfilling life, the regrets are tinged with the recognition that they may have fulfilled their dreams, they lived a long and full life. The tragedy of "early" deaths is that so many aspirations go unfulfilled, so many lives remain untouched and so much potential for good is lost.

Tragedy is possibly one of the most abused words in the English language. Too often events relating to entertainment, sport etc... are classified as tragedies. However, a true tragedy is the death of someone, whether child or adult, "before" their time.

As Necromonger so eloquently puts it:

October 29, 2007

In memoriam
Of a dearest friend. A wonderful human being.A fellow participant in dreams, hopes and fears.Will always be missed. Forever.



Accipiter

No comments: